Race Review: Nature's Trail Discover Run - Leg 3

I was on a second thought to participate in this race because it's one week away from my first ultra marathon. But since it's the final leg for me to complete the trilogy and Norphl had been generous to sponsor my race kit, I  chose to run. It was the most challenging 21k trail run I'd joined so far.

We arrived at the venue with enough time to claim our race kits, do some stretching and of course, photo ops.
534744_373264852766393_1865297082_n
-photo by Jose R-

The starting line was positioned near the Daranak Falls. The 21k run started  at 530am. The route took us to the rolling paved road and to some rocky road which lead us to the entrance of the Calinawan Cave.

I forgot to bring a headlamp so I almost got lost inside the cave. It was totally dark. I joined a pack of  runners so we can guide each other. We filed into a single walking line until we reach the cave's exit.

And now we're back to the trails. That short trail was followed by a descent to a river where we encountered slippery rocks.
302726_397099283701069_684997290_n
-photo by Norphl-

After river crossing, I thought I could continue running but Oh no! The stairways to grotto (300+ steps) welcomed us. We had no choice but to take that way huh.

When we reach the top, an open field allowed us to run freely again. I think that was the last easy part of the route. It was purely uphill until the U-turn at the summit of Mt. Masungi. I ran and walked to survive. The trail was so narrow. I slipped at some part due to undergrowth and mud. I got some bruises and scratches but it's a part of the game.
With Allan
-Way back to finish line with Allan (photo by Sir Ted)-
Our way back to the finish line was mostly downhill. It made me run faster and crossed the finish line at 3:33:00. Thank God for all the strength and endurance.
66070_373241736102038_2127764772_n
-photo by Jose R.-
Again, congratulations to all runners who braved the trails of Tanay. Cheers!
The Team at Final Leg

No comments:

Post a Comment