A Sweet Finish in 9th Sto. Nino Fun Run

San Pedro, Laguna - In celebration of the feast of Sto. Nino, last January 26, a 5k/10k fun run was held from Sto. Nino chapel grounds and back. It was organized by Aaron Cataquiz and Gerome Ejercito with the help of ER Ejercito and Calixto Cataquiz.

I had registered in the 10k Run category along with Allan, Omar and the rest of Team Genber. When it comes to nearby races, Team Genber never fail to invite me.

This was my first race for the year. We did a 2km warm up by simply running from Omar's house up to the venue. We arrived there with enough time to prepare and position ourselves at the starting line.

While waiting for the race to start, I prayed for a strong finish and an accident-free race since the road was not exclusive for the runners. When the gun went off, most runners sprinted forward. Aiming for a new personal best, I ran with Allan as my pacer. We planned to maintain a 5:30 - 5:40 pace for the whole 10k to hit a sub55 finish. I turned my GPS watch on but I had no plan to look into it and monitor our pace. Allan was in-charge with it. He also brought some hydration so we don't need to stop in every aid station.

The route was a two 5 km-loop. While running, I felt really strong on my feet. I used my favorite racing shoe, the Mizuno Elixir 7 and enjoyed the comfort that it brings. Every kick was into place.

As time goes by, it felt like were going too fast. I asked Allan about our pace but he never tell. So I just continued running. I sip Pocari and water from time to time to keep me hydrated. I evenly poured water over my head as I began to feel hot.

It was a run all the way 10k. To my surprise, we clocked at 00:51:39. It was far better than my target so I was very happy with my performance. Thanks to Allan for pushing me for the entire race.

It was one of the "super sulit" event I had ever joined. For the registration of only Php100, we got shirts, gatorade and breakfast upon crossing the finish line. Medals and cash prizes were also given to top finishers. There was also a special category for San Pedro residents. In fact, Omar placed 2nd in 10k Overall.

This race was great to start another running year for me. Not only that I got a new personal best but also, I finished first among women. I want to do more of the same for the next months!
san pedro fun run
-The only pic that I have-

No comments:

Post a Comment